Monday, November 24, 2008

Delivery of Deliciousness

As crazy as life can get and as difficult as it may be at times for us to understand why things happen when they do I have always felt that its important for us to remember that everything that happens in life does so for a reason and many times for reasons that are beyond our ability to fully understand at that given moment. In these sometimes challenging and confusing situations I think it’s always best to look for the positive, keep faith in whatever you believe in, and move forward with love in your heart and a smile on your face. Losing my dependable day job at first seemed like the end of the world but in reality was a step towards something that I had been dreaming of doing full time for a while but was too afraid to go out on a limb and try on my own. Sure, not getting paid on a regular basis anymore might have a few downfalls to it but I'm not going to waste time and energy dwelling on the negative and instead choose to follow my heart and keep faith that everything will work out for the best and that not only will I be spending my days doing something that love but that I will be able to find a way to pay the bills, have fun, and put delicious food on my table too.

No less than two days after the news of my layoff I received the latter of the three in the form of an email from a lovely PR company for natural food producers. They had recently stumbled upon my little blog and when they discovered my love of recipe development and all things delicious and gluten free thought I might be interested in trying some gluten free toaster waffles made by a lovely company they were working with called Van’s. I quickly replied back with a most definite “yes please!” and five days later I arrived home to find a large box on my doorstep labeled with a cute penguin and a "freeze upon receiving" sticker.

Now I must admit, this was not my first time trying these delicious waffles. I have actually been a big fan of the Van’s Gluten Free Flax Waffles for years now. But it was not till I opened the big box on my doorstep that I discovered not only did Vans make my favorite flax waffles but five other scrumptious waffle varieties as well!

Sitting on the floor in my kitchen surrounded by all of my new frozen gluten free goodies my heart leapt with glee. Just when I was starting to feel a little worrisome about being able to afford some of my favorite gluten free groceries the groceries found a way to come to me! Not only would these boxes of gluten free goodness provide me with a multitude of meals but they would also serve as a most delicious source of inspiration too. Sitting and gazing at the boxes before me with visions of delicious waffle creations floating about in my head I could hardly wait to get to work creating yummy waffle themed treats, so I didn’t!


Mini Peanut Butter Banana Sandwiches

Serves 2

These scrumptious mini sandwiches are perfect for breakfast, lunch, or a sweet and nutritious anytime snack.

Ingredients

4 Van’s Homestyle Mini waffles

1 large banana

Honey

Peanut Butter

Preparation

Pop the wafflesickles in the toaster and toast until desired toastyness is achieved. While the waffles are toasting slice the banana lengthwise into eight pieces.  When the waffles are ready break them into sixteen mini waffles and spread a bit of peanut butter on eight of them. Top the eight peanut butter spread waffles with one of the banana slices and a drizzle of honey then complete the sandwich with the other eight mini waffles.

Enjoy with a tall glass of chocolate milk (moo cow or soy). 

The peanut butter + honey + banana combination has always been a personal favorite of mine and sandwiching the three between two crispy yet soft circles of waffley deliciousness take this scrumptious combo to a whole new level of yum! 

No comments: