Friday, June 20, 2008

Quesadilla week continues

Lunch was so delicious the other day that I decided in honor of my most recent scrumptious creation (and in order to use all of the brown rice tortillas before they went stale) that this week would be quesadilla week. On Tuesday I made a repeat of Monday’s delicious original the chicken mango sausage quesadilla with mango and fruity water on the side.



Wednesday I decided to try something new and toped a tortilla with a smeared wedge of Laughing Cow light swiss cheese, a sprinkle of finely ground pistachios, a couple pieces of roasted red pepper, a slice of herbed turkey breast and a few leaves of fresh chopped basil (pre pepper and turkey picture).



This quesadilla was so delicious that I had it again for lunch on Thursday!

After having meat for lunch 4 days in a row on Friday I was ready for a veggie meal (plus it was 103 degrees out and I was no where near in the mood for a heavy meaty meal). I must admit I think today’s quesadilla was the best one yet!

Super yummy veggie quesadilla

Ingredients

1 brown rice tortilla
a couple pieces of roasted red pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
a handful of field greens or spinach
½ avocado, mashed
salsa (see recipe below)

Salsa ingredients


½ vine ripe tomato, gutted and chopped into bite sized pieces
¼ teaspoon jalapeƱo, chopped (seeds and all)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 or 2 squeezes of lime juice
a few cilantro leaves, chopped
sea salt and black pepper to taste

Combine all of the salsa ingredients in a small dish, adding salt and pepper to your desired taste and set aside.

Top a brown rice tortilla with the cheese and roasted red pepper and heat in a pan, fold over when the cheese starts to melt and let cook until the tortilla is as browned as you like your quesadilla. Remove from the pan, carefully open up the quesadilla and stuff it with the salsa, avocado and leafy greens.



Sooo yummy!!

I also had a tropical fruit salad made with mango, grapes, unsweetened coconut and agave nectar.


I think this would be been delish with pineapple, papaya or banana in the salad but mangos and grapes were all I had.

Quesadilla week was all I dreamed it would be and more! Aside from a pleased palate my hair and skin are soft and shiny from all the healthy fats I have been getting from the avocado, the lycopene in the tomatoes has kept my cells happy and protected from free radicals, and the garlic has been busy shielding me from summer time bug bites.

As delicious as the quesadillas have been I think next week I might have to switch gears and fulfill a familiar lunch time craving that has resurfaced yet again. Keep your eyes peeled and get your tummies ready for next week is going to be all about the delicious, nutritious gluten free sandwich.

No comments: