Monday, June 16, 2008

missin my kitchen

I know I tend to say this about most meals but I really must say today’s lunch was sooo delicious! It was the first lunch I have prepared since I got back from my fun filled mini break in Santa Barbara. I think I missed playing in the kitchen more than I realized because even after spending all of last night cooking dinner, baking scones and prepping sauces and marinades for the week ahead’s meals I still had enough creative cooking energy in me this afternoon to whip up this incredibly scrumptious lunchtime treat.

Super stuffed quesadillas


Ingredients

  • 1 brown rice tortilla or 2 corn tortillas (Trader Joes sells brown rice tortilla now! yay!!)
  • 1 precooked chicken mango sausage (from Trader Joes), cut into bite sized slices
  • cheese (I used 1 slice pepper jack veggie slices and a small sprinkle of cotija)
  • ½ avocado
  • ½ vine ripened tomato, gutted and diced
  • ¼ teaspoon jalapeño, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 squeeze lime juice
  • sea salt and black pepper to taste

Combine the chopped tomato, jalapeño, garlic and lime juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to desired taste.

Mush up the avocado in another bowl and season with salt and lime juice.

Cook your sausage slices in a pan on medium high heat until browned on both sides, set aside.

Heat your tortilla(s) in a big pan, top with cheese and sausage pieces, fold tortilla over and let brown on both sides. Remove the tortilla(s) from the pan and stuff with your spicy tomato mixture and avocado.



Soooo delicious!!

Inspired by a restaurant we ate at in Santa Barbara I yummiefied my water too by adding strawberries and orange slices to it.




As if that was not enough yummyness for one meal there was more! The mangos I bought last night to have with my lunches this week were not ready just yet so I had to search the kitchen for another fruit option to have with my lunch. I found apples, plums, and raspberries in the fridge but none of those seemed fitting for the spicy meal I was preparing. What was it I wanted? I sat down at the kitchen table to think about it and finish writing down some notes on a recipe I had been working on earlier and there it was right in front of me, sitting atop a pile of cookbooks and magazines a beautiful, perfectly ripe, yellow banana. I immediately knew what I wanted to make with it and without delay I grabbed the banana and got to work.

Pan fried banana with vanilla caramel frozen yogurt

Ingredients

1 banana, sliced
¼ teaspoon earth balance
1 tablespoon water
1 or 2 sprinkles of cinnamon
1 scoop of Stonyfield organic low fat creme caramel frozen yogurt



Heat the earth balance in a small pan over medium high heat. Add your banana slices to the pan and cook for 1 minute, then add a tablespoon of water to loosen the bananas from the pan and plump them up a bit. Cook a little longer until the bananas start to brown on one side then flip and cook until the bananas are browned on the other side.

Serve hot bananas atop a scoop of ice cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.



I have a hard time finding the words to describe how unbelievably scrumptious this was but I will try… it was close your eyes and savor each bite while you comment to yourself out loud about how so very yummy it is since you are dining alone delicious! The hot bananas were slightly crunchy on the outside and hot and fluffy on the inside and the combination of the bananas with the sweet, cold, caramely ice cream was just heavenly!

I think this whole meal would be absolutely perfect for a summer dinner, maybe add grilled bell peppers or corn to serve on the side, a couple glasses of sangria and a few friends to share it all with.

No comments: