Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Last Peach Supper

Originally when I made the peach butter I envisioned the little jars of gooey peachy goodness lasting easily through the summer and fall and well into the winter months but after sharing a few jars with friends and family and many mornings of delicious peachy yogurt and fresh baked muffins spread with peach butter my jars of peach butter have dwindled down to only 2 ½! I decided that I would have to exercise a bit of self-control and ration my last two full jars of summery fruit saving one for fall and another for winter. The last half full jar in the fridge I would use for something special, a peachy dinner to celebrate my last taste of peach butter for the season.

Peachy Chicken Tacos with Peach Salsa

Serves 4

Ingredients for Salsa

4 peaches, peeled and chopped into small pieces

½ jalapeño chile, finely chopped (take out the seeds first if you like a milder salsa)

2 or 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

juice of 1 lime


Ingredients for Chicken

1 cup peach butter

2 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons honey

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces

salt and pepper to taste


Preparing the Salsa

Combine the peaches, jalapeño, cilantro and lime in a bowl and stir to combine, add salt and pepper to desired taste. Pop in the refrigerator to chill until the chicken is ready.

Preparing the Chicken

In a large pan simmer over medium low heat the peach butter, mustard, and honey until it starts to bubble a bit then add the chicken pieces. Simmer the chicken in the sauce for 15 minutes or until fully cooked.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Putting it all together

Make soft tacos using warmed corn or brown rice tortillas stuffing them with the peachy chicken and an ample portion of peachy salsa. Serve with desired side dish of choice, I had guacamole and brown rice. It was a delicious way to savor my last taste of summery peach butter for the season. While I am sure there are a few more weeks of delicious peach eating days left of the summer I am already looking forward to cracking open my fall jar of peach butter.  

2 comments:

Angela said...

WOW! This is delicious, Rachel! I made the peach butter this weekend and we just had the tacos tonight -- truly delightful.

And the peach butter gave us an occasion for a great cultural experience at Denver's big Vietnamese grocery in search of lemon grass. Who knew they sold live frogs, too?! (We passed on those!)

The peach butter is to die for -- now I just need to think of other ways to use it (admittedly, from the spoon directly to my mouth is pretty tempting!).

Thanks again.

- Angela

rachel marie said...

Live frogs! Oh my, glad you passed on those, that peach butter does have a knack for making almost everything taste better but I am not sure it could do anything for frog! ;)

I also like eating it straight from the jar with a spoon but one of my favorite ways to enjoy it is on vanilla ice cream or mixed with yogurt. So delish!