Friday, January 16, 2009

Spring Preview

The calendar may still say January but the days have been warm and sunshiny here in San Diego, there are even patches of poppies starting to bloom in the front yard! As fond as I am of hot bowls of oatmeal and warm banana bread all these springy things got my taste buds craving something fresh and fruity for breakfast. Lucky for me there just happened to be a full container of bright red strawberries in the kitchen just begging to be made into something scrumptious.   

 

Strawberry Cacao Waffles

 

For these waffles I used raw chocolate coconut butter which is not only vegan, gluten free and packed with healthy goodness but scrumdiddlyumptious! Studies have shown that coconut oil is a great energy booster, supports a healthy immune system, and can aid in weight management (when consumed in moderation of course). Raw cacao has a wide array of health benefits as well ranging from supporting healthy brain and cardiovascular function, relieving stress, and adding radiance to your skin and hair. You can find this delicious jar of goodness at many specialty stores that sell raw products. I found mine at my local Jimbo's Grocer.

 

Ingredients

4 or 5 fresh strawberries, cut into bite sized pieces

2 tablespoons raw chocolate coconut butter (I used Artisana

1 gluten free toaster waffle (I used a Vans buckwheat waffle)

 

Preparation

Pop the waffle in the toaster and while it is toasting warm up the cacao butter until it is a spreadable consistency. Once the waffle is done spread it with the warmed cacao butter and then top with the berries.


 


Delicious and the perfect fix for my springalicious breakfast craving.  

No comments: