Thursday, January 29, 2009

January Daring Bakers Challenge

As much as I love gluten free baked goods, I must confess, when it comes to consumption of sweet treats I think I just might like ice cream a teensy bit more. Especially when that ice cream is in the form of a most delicious and decadent scoop of creamy gelato. At work the past week I have been pleased as a peach because my most recent photographic assignment has been completing the pictures for the gelato catalog (I know, such tough work!).  After 3 days of playing with an array of different flavors of frozen deliciousness I was more than ready to take some home with me and I had the perfect excuse to do so.

Hamilton’s Birthday!



I don’t know anyone that enjoys ice cream more than this man and so for his birthday I knew that there was nothing he would love more than a giant tub of gelato from Gelato Vera.



As luck would have it I also still had yet to do my January Daring Bakers challenge and it just so happened that there was a most scrumptious way for me to tie my baking assignment in with the birthday gelato. 


Tuile Dessert Cones

This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Baking Soda and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Angelique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux. All changes made to the original recipes to make them gluten free are noted in italics. 

Tuiles are thin, delicate, crisp cookies that are molded into shapes while still warm. You can form the batter into a desired shape using frosting piping or a stencil. Popular shapes for tuiles are cigar shaped tubes, circles with the ends curled up, flowers, taco shell shapes, even butterflies. Since I was planning on serving my tuiles with gelato I decided to make my tuiles into cone shapes. To do this I made a stencil out of cardboard by cutting a large circle out of it using an exacto knife.  

 

Ingredients

¼ cup softened butter (not melted but soft)

½ cup confectioners sugar

1 sachet vanilla sugar (or substitute with a dash of vanilla extract, I used 1 teaspoon)

2 large egg whites (slightly whisked with a fork)

¼ cup gluten free oat flour (or almond flour), sifted

1 teaspoon cocoa powder or food coloring of choice, (optional)

Butter spray to grease baking sheet

 

I also made a second batch making the following changes:

Substitution: ¼ cup fine ground brown rice flour (sifted) in lieu of the oat flour

Addition: 1/8 teaspoon xanath gum

 

Preparation

First heat your oven to 350. Using a hand whisk or stand mixer fitted with the paddle cream the butter, sugar and vanilla to a paste on low speed.



Keep mixing while you gradually add the egg whites. Once the egg whites are combined with the butter gradually add the flour (and xanath gum if using the rice flour recipe) a little bit at a time and stir just until the batter is smooth. Be careful not to over mix.



Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.  The batter will keep in the fridge for up to a week, take it out and let it sit for 30 minutes before you plan to use it. When you are ready to make the tuiles line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with butter spray and then chill the pan in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. This will make the batter easier to spread, especially if you are using a stencil.  Press the stencil onto the chilled baking sheet and using an offset spatula spread the batter over the stencil.

If you want to decorate the tuile you can mix a tablespoon or two of the batter with a few drops of warm water and the cocoa powder or food coloring. You can now decorate the cookies any way you like.  I added polka dots and stripes to mine using batter colored with cocoa powder in a piping bag.



Bake the tuiles for 5 – 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies turn a golden brown. Immediately release the cookies from the baking sheet and then quickly shape/bend the cookies into the desired shape. I used a few sheets of paper rolled into a cone and secured with tape to form my cookies into cones.




The cookies have to be shaped quickly while still warm so you may want to only bake a few at a time or if need be pop them back into the oven to warm them again.

Once you have shaped the cookies set them on a wire rack until they are completely cooled.



Tuile cones are perfect for filling with all sorts of deliciousness, chocolate mouse, whipped cream with fresh berries or dulce de leche gelato drizzled with homemade caramel sauce (recipe coming soon!).


  


The delicate tuiles were melt in your mouth delicious and the perfect accompaniment for the rich and creamy gelato.

Making my own cones and caramel sauce from scratch was such a delicious endeavor and while the gelato was no doubt some of the most scrumptious I have ever tasted I couldn’t help but get to thinking how much fun it might be to learn how to make my own some sunshiny summery day soon. 

4 comments:

TeaLady said...

Love your ice cream cones. Cute. Great job.

Candice said...

What a great idea, ice cream cones! Yum!

Melinda said...

Your cones look great and I love the idea of pairing them with ice-cream! Looking forward to seeing your dulce de leche and caramel sauce recipe! It's been 40+ degrees Celsius (over 100 F) here in Melbourne, Australia, so perfect ice-cream weather!

Anonymous said...

The cones were delicious! I got to try them with the birthday gelato and it was heavenly. Thank you so much! Love, Gumby