Thursday, January 1, 2009

365 Delicious Days

When the clock struck midnight on January 1, I like many others clinked my glass of champagne and exchanged x’s and o’s with a handful of my nearest and dearest friends in celebration of the New Year. Like many of our gatherings the occasion was a delicious one, there were fruit, veggies, salami, gluten free crackers and cheese (one amazing cheese in particular was a blueberry stilton that I found at Barons Marketplace that tasted like a cheesy blueberry muffin!)

Kate chopped the veggies, Mark grilled veggie burgers and sausages, and I whipped up a pot of mulled wine and a pitcher of sangria.

Mitch was kind enough to bring all the provisions needed to mix up his now famous cosmopolitans

I am typically not too keen on cosmos but these tasted like candy!

Friends, food and fun, I could not have imagined a better way to end one fabulous year and kick start another.

There was also another joyous occasion to toast at midnight this year because January 1, 2009 was not only the birthday of a new year but also the 1st birthday of my blog! One year ago today Mari Made was born, her first few posts were not specifically focused on food but of course food managed to make its way into each post and eventually took over as the sole focus of the content. Writing the blog has brought so many wonderful changes to my life. My passion for cooking, traveling, writing, and gluten free baking has turned from a part time hobby to a full time passion and blossoming career. It has also given me an opportunity to befriend and get to know so many creative, intelligent, and fabulous new foodie friends. I cannot put into words how much I have enjoyed where this year has taken me. From cooking up new recipes for the blog and sharing delicious gluten free discoveries to baking for my dear Mari Made customers and sharing baked treats at events, I have loved each and every sweet moment and am looking forward to all the delicious adventures yet to come in 2009.

In celebration of the day I decided to bake a sweet birthday breakfast treat using a fruit that has been the star of many Mari made recipes this year.

Bloggy Birthday Banana Bread

Makes one loaf

Ingredients

1 cup brown rice flour

¼ cup potato starch

¼ cup tapioca flour

1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon xanath gum

½ teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 whole egg and 1 egg white

1 cup mashed banana

¾ cup sugar

¼ cup oil

1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium sized bowl sift together the flours. Add to this the baking powder, baking soda, xanath gum, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt then stir until combined.

In a large bowl slightly beat the eggs and then add to this the oil, sugar, and mashed banana.

Mashed banana is an ingredient I often make use of so naturally I have become quite experienced with several different banana mashing methods. Forks and mashers work fabulously as do food processers but there is one method in particular that I have become quite fond of and so I thought I might, on this festive birthday occasion share my favorite banana mashing method.




Using a riper banana makes the mashing process much easier and limits the likelihood that the banana will spring a leak before its adequately mashed. If you manage to mash the banana fully without rupturing it use a knife to cut off the top and then squeeze the banana goo into your measuring cup.

Stir the wet ingredients until fully combined and then add to them the flour mixture and walnuts then stir just until moistened. Pour this into a greased loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.

Serve warm with a little bit of earth balance or butter.

Delicious!!

4 comments:

Muffin said...

Your banana bread looks great!! Thanks for the link to Muffin Physics. It's greatly appreciated.

All the best,
the muffinPHYSICIST

rachel marie said...

Thanks hun!

I tried your muffins at whole foods once and they were delish! Are you going to be selling them there again anytime soon?

money making said...

Start your own online business. Sell ebooks/software. Full reprint rights. http://www.biz4cash.net/?ix=1972

Make money with your own website. Keep 100% of all profits. http://www.biz4cash.net/?ix=1972

Earn tons of cash online selling ebooks/software. http://www.biz4cash.net/?ix=1972

The best online income opportunity. Operate your own ebusiness. http://www.biz4cash.net/?ix=1972

Earn big money by selling ebooks/software with your own website. Keep all profits for yourself. http://www.biz4cash.net/?ix=1972
just click on the link, enter name and email , you can win upto $100, WOW!
http://anfide.webs.com
www.dewzz.com
http://worldconnect.weebly.com

Muffin said...

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be back at the WF store in Hillcrest on February 28th for their GF Day...this time, I'll also have our yeast-free and allergen-free sandwich loaf.