Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Savory Waffles

For weeks now I have been craving sandwiches but for some reason I have been unable to find a spare moment to bake a loaf of bread and I just can’t bring myself to buy frozen gluten free bread, especially not when my freezer is full of delicious toaster waffles. So I decided satisfy my sandwich cravings and put some of those waffles to good use and make a scrumptious toaster waffle sandwich.

 


Grilled Toaster Waffle Ham and Cheese


Ingredients

2 Van’s Homestyle Waffles

Earth Balance butter spread

Gluten free deli ham (I used ham from Fresh & Easy)

Cheddar cheese, grated

Dijon Mustard (optional)

 

Making the Sandwich

Lightly butter one side of each of the waffles 


Place one of the waffles butter side down in a skillet on medium heat. Spread the top of the waffle in the skillet with mustard (if you like mustard), top with the ham and cheese, and then top with the other waffle, buttered side up. 


Cook on each side for 4 minutes until waffles are toasted and the cheese has melted. If you find that your waffles are toasting too quickly lower the heat or you can always heat the finished sandwich in the microwave for 10 seconds to melt the rest of the cheese.

On a brisk fall day grilled waffle ham and cheese makes a most savory lunch and is perfect when accompanied by a bowl of soup and a hot cup of tea.

I enjoyed my sandwich with a bowl of Butternut Squash soup from Fresh and Easy.

Toaster waffles are perfect for grilled gluten free sandwiches and in my opinion a much tastier option than any frozen gluten free bread I have tried. Here are a few other tasty ideas for grilled waffle sandwiches:

-         Peanut butter + chocolate chips

-         Granny smith apple slices + gouda cheese

-         Ham + turkey + raspberry jam

No comments: