Sunday, October 12, 2008

Oatmeal Season

As much as I love me a delicious bowl of oatmeal the past few months of heat and humidity have put a bit of a damper on my normal morning oatmeal cravings. While the daytime hours are still mostly sunshiny and warm here the mornings and nights have at last started to cool, this past weekend it even dropped down to the upper 40’s late at night! That being the case the early work day mornings are at last the perfect temperature for hot oatmeal breakfast again. After weeks and weeks without my favorite breakfast food it was so hard for me to narrow down the delicious mixins to include in my oats to just a few, so I decided not to!

Autumn Everything Oats
Serves one




This recipe was inspired by the cooling weather, my indecisiveness and a chat with my peachy keen Georgia friend, Elliott about our mutual love of oatmeal.

Oatmeal Ingredients

1 cup vanilla soy milk
½ cup oats
½ teaspoon vanilla
a dash of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and clove
1 small banana, sliced
1 tablespoon pureed pumpkin

Topping Ingredients

a sprinkle of brown sugar
1 tablespoon walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
more vanilla soy milk or vanilla hemp milk
a spoonful of peanut butter or raw almond butter

Preparation


Combine soymilk and oats and cook over medium high heat until bubbly then lower heat to a light simmer. Add to this the vanilla, spices and pumpkin, stir to combine, let simmer a minute or two and then add the sliced bananas. Let this cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has absorbed into the oats.

Once the oats are done pour them into a bowl and top with all of your scrumptious toppings.



On a cool day oats are perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. Personally, I have been loving this new Coconut Chai Tea from Zhena’s Gypsy Tea.



Served with a bit of milk and sweetener (I like stevia) it is delish!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying a bowl the way you taught me, while reading this latest post. mmmm...